This is the easiest way to make home-made tomato sauce. No canned tomato sauce is ever as good as the kind one makes from scratch. Making a tasty tomato sauce is an easy process that does not require fancy equipment or ingredients.
Try this recipe and taste at home.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot or 1/2 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small stalk of celery, including the green tops, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil or tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1.28 oz. can whole tomatoes, including the juice or 1 & 3/4 pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Gently cook the onion, carrot, celery and parsley: Heat olive oil in a large wide skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and parsley. Stir to coat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened and cooked through.
- Add garlic: Remove cover and add minced garlic. Increase the heat to medium to high. Cook for garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, salt, pepper; then simmer: Add tomatoes, including the juice and shedding them with your fingers if you are using canned whole tomatoes. Add the tomato paste and the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to low simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Puree for smooth sauce (Optional): If you want you can push the sauce through a food mill, or puree it in a blender or with an immersion blender, to give it a smooth consistency.
Go and taste my other recipes - click here
Like my Facebook page - click here