Grape fruit & prawn salad is a classic French entree which is super easy and quick to make. You can buy cooked prawns, shelled or not. It's of course quicker if they're cooked and shelled but you can totally do it yourself.
Try this recipe and taste home-made grape fruit & prawn salad.
- 2 large grape-fruits or 4 small ones
- 1 Avacado
- 500g of cooked and cold prawns (weight with shells)
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar for a pink sauce, or caramelized balsamic for a beige sauce
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs tomato sauce (the ketchup type)
- 1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 8 tbs vinegar
- 8 tbs yogurt
- Fresh herbs such as parsley, lemon thyme and chives
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the grape fruits in half sideways. (the hole for the branch upwards)
- Using a sharp knife, circumnavigate the interior, not too close to the skin, you want to see the pulp not the knife part. Make sure you don't pierce the yellow skin if you're going to use it as a bowl.
- Cut the flesh out in little triangles discarding the soft transparent skin surrounding each piece (It's a very bitter part). Put the flesh a side. Remove and discard the remaining bits and pips to make a nice serving bowl out of each grape fruit half.
- Shell the cooked prawns, set aside.
- Peal the avacado and cut its flesh in cubes.
- In a bowl, mix olive oil, tomato sauce, mustard, vinegar, yogurt, salt and pepper. Whisk well.
- Add grape fruit pieces, herbs, avacado and prawn; mix delicately with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Pour mixture in each half grape fruit.
- Place each in a little bowl and serve.
Go and taste my other recipes - click here
To read my blog posts - click here
Like my facebook page - click here