Bolognese sauce is a meat-based sauce in Italian cuisine. I think my recipe is the easiest way how to make bolognese sauce.
Try this recipe and taste home-made bolognese.
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut into 2-inches chunks
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large stalk celery, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1.28 oz. can whole San Marzano or other good quality tomatoes with thick juice
- Chop the vegetables: In a food processor, combine the onion, carrot & celery. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Cook the vegetables: In a deep, wide skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent but not browned.
- Cook the beef: Add the ground beef to the skillet with the sauteed vegetables. Add the salt and pepper. Break the meat up with a fork or a potato-masher and cook over medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes, mashing it until it is crumbly & no longer pink. You are not actually browning the meat, just cooking it until no longer looks raw.
- Simmer the meat and milk: Add the milk to the skillet and simmer, stirring often, for about 4 minutes, or until the milk has almost completely evaporated. Stir in nutmeg.
- Add the wine: Add the wine to the skillet and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until it has almost evaporated.
- Crush and add tomatoes: Pour the tomatoes into a bowl squish them with your hands to break them up so there are no longer large pieces.Add them to the skillet and bring the sauce to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and simmer the sauce for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick. If the sauce begins dry, stir in 1 to 2 tbsp hot water. (Optional - add more salt and pepper if you feels needed.)
Go and taste my other recipes - click here
To read my blog posts - click here
Like my facebook page - click here